We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
(CM-11 dp.5,300; 1. 350'; b. 57'; dr. 15'; s. 12cpl. 219; a. 3 3", 18 20mm.)
The second Salem (CM-11) was built in 1916 by William Cramp and Sons, Philadelphia, Pa., as Joseph R. Parrott; acquired by the Navy on 8 June from the Maritime Commission, and commissioned on 9 August 1942, Lt. Comdr. Henry G. Williams in command.
Following training exercises, Salem departed Brooklyn on 13 November 1942, as part of a convoy and arrived at Casablanca on 1 December. She laid 202 mines off that port on 27 and 28 December and helped fight off an air raid there on 31 December. On 20 January 1943, she sailed from Casablanca and arrived at Norfolk on 9 February. After repairs, she left the United States again on 13 June and arrived at Oran on 5 July. The minelayer got underway the next day as part of the Sicily invasion force; and, on 11 July, laid 390 mines off Gela, Sicily, in company with Weehawken (CM-12) and Keokuk (CM-8). Returning to Oran on 17 July, Salem subsequently carried 255 British troops from Gibraltar to Oran and then moved to Bizerte in preparation for landings in Italy. However, her role in these landings was canceled due to the Italian surrender. The ship left Mers el Kebir on 7 October and returned to New York on 26 October.
Salem was repaired at Norfolk and carried out local operations along the Atlantic coast until 11 May 1944, when she departed Hampton Roads for duty with Service Squadron 6 in the Pacific. On 27 June she sailed from Pearl Harbor with a cargo of ammunition, which she offloaded to shore facilities and combatant ships after her arrival at Eniwetok on 8 July. She then shuttled between Eniwetok, Kwajalein, Makin, Majuro Saipan, and Tinian, helping to carry ammunition to forward areas for issue to the fleet. At Tinian on 4 October, her stern touched bottom in heavy swells damaging both screws, and Sirius (AK-15) and an Army tug towed her back to Pearl. After arrival on 5 November, she underwent repairs and temporary conversion into a net cargo ship.
Salem completed conversion on 10 February 1945 and departed Pearl on 18 February with a cargo of anti torpedo nets. After stops at Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Leyte, Salem arrived off Kerama Retto on 26 March 1945 as troops went ashore to secure the island and its harbor for use as a fleet base for the invasion of Okinawa. During the next two days, Salem laid antisubmarine nets to protect the harbor. Japanese air attacks were frequent; and, on 2 April, Salem's gunners helped shoot down a plane that was trying to crash Lunga`7a Point (CVE-94). Salem departed Kerama Retto two days later and arrived at Pearl on 27 April, where she picked up a new cargo of nets. Departing Pearl on Z4 May, she unloaded her nets at Guam between 12 and 19 June, and then proceeded to Eniwetok where she repaired nets between 24 June and 31 July. Salem returned to Pearl Harbor on 10 August and————on 15 August, the day fighting stopped in the Pacific————was renamed Shawmut to permit a new cruiser to be named Salem. Departing Pearl on 31 August, she arrived at San Francisco on 10 September for inactivation. Shawmut was decommissioned on 6 December 1945, struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission on 2d June 1946. She was sold on 7 March 1947 to the West India Fruit and S. S. Co., and served as Joseph R. Parrots under the Honduran flag until 1970.
Salem (CM-11) received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Salem, MA Military History
“Salem has a rich military history that stretches all the way back to the Seventeenth Century, and continues on today. Salem’s designation in 2013 as the birthplace of the National Guard, and Salem’s privateer connections get most of the military heritage attention, but there is much more to this story.
Salem Common was “Ye Olde Training Field” when Captain John Endicott organized the first training day to drill settlers in 1630. In 1637 the first militia muster was organized by the Massachusetts Bay Colony Court.
Cadet Band, ca: 1910, led by Jean Missud.
Today we know Winter Island for its beach, boat ramp, and beautiful lighthouse. Originally named for King William, the original fort dates back to 1643-1667. It was renamed for Salem’s Colonel Timothy Pickering in 1799, and became a Coast Guard Air Station in 1935.
Six weeks prior to the “shot heard around the world on Lexington Green,” British Colonel Alexander Leslie retreated from a gathering of angry citizens on Salem’s North Bridge. Leslie and the 64 th regiment had been sent by the British governor general of Massachusetts, Thomas Gage, to seize Colonial cannons and gunpowder in Salem. Leslie’s Retreat is considered by many to have been the first armed resistance of the American Revolution. Learn more about Leslie’s Retreat in this article from The Boston Globe.
Salem Privateers made a name for themselves during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Privateers were privately owned vessels that had government permission to capture enemy vessels during wartime, and during the Revolutionary War alone Salem sent out 158 privateers that captured 444 prizes (enemy ships), more than half the number taken by all the Colonies during the war. Today you can sail aboard a replica Salem Privateer, Schooner FAME, out of Pickering Wharf.
Salem Coast Guard matchbook (front).
Include the Pickering House on Broad Street in your visit to Salem, and you will be exploring the birthplace of Colonel Timothy Pickering, who was an officer in the Continental Army and Quartermaster during the Revolutionary War. Pickering’s career went on to include Adjutant General of the Army, Secretary of State, and Secretary of War. Pickering, who was known for his unwavering integrity, lack of prejudice, devotion to justice, and commitment to service, is buried in the Broad Street Cemetery.
Glover’s Regiment claims Marblehead as its home, but Colonel John Glover was born on St. Peter’s Street in Salem. A good friend of General George Washington’s, Glover’s Regiment ferried Washington across the Delaware River, and Glover’s Schooner HANNAH was the first commissioned ship in the US Navy.
Salem Coast Guard matchbook (back).
Salem mathematician and navigator Nathaniel Bowditch wrote “The New American Practical Navigator.” Known as “The Bowditch,” a copy of this book was been onboard Naval and Coast Guard vessels since the War of 1812.
Residents and visitors still remember when two US Naval Submarines were docked at Derby Wharf, used as training vessels during World War II.
Salem’s military connections continue today, most notably in newly-elected Congressman Seth Moulton, who served in the Marine Corps in the Iraq War.
Armory Park, adjacent to the Salem Regional Visitor Center, pays tribute to more than 365 years of military heritage in Essex County and includes a timeline tracing the history of the citizen soldier and the Second Corps of Cadets.
Salem II CM-11 - History
Due to the overwhelming response to "Winston-Salem Memories: The Early Years," Winston-Salem Journal is happy to announce a second hardcover pictorial history book, "Winston-Salem Memories II: A Pictorial History of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s."
We are proud to partner with the Old Salem Museums & Gardens, Special Collections & Archives at State Archives of North Carolina, Winston Salem African American Archive, Winston-Salem State University, and Z. Smith Reynolds Library at Wake Forest University. This heirloom-quality coffee-table book will feature a glimpse of the Winston-Salem area from 1940– 1969 with a brief reprise of the early years, through stunning historic photos. In addition to images carefully selected from the archives of our partners, we are thrilled to include photographic memories from our readers.
What Evidence Supports Proctor’s Ledge as the Execution Site?
The team analyzed multiple forms of evidence to confirm that Proctor’s Ledge was the execution site. For example, accused witch Rebecca Eames testified on August 19, 1692, that she and her guards had been traveling along Boston Road, which ran just below Proctor’s Ledge, and from her location at “the house below the hill” she saw some people at the execution of the accused witches that day, according to the court records:
“she was askt if she was at the execution: she was at the house below the hill: she saw a few folk” (SWP No. 44.1).
Marilynne K. Roach determined that the “house below the hill” was probably the McCarter House, or one of its neighbors on Boston street, and tried to determine if the ledge was visible from the houses on that street, according to Baker:
“Professor Benjamin Ray conducted research that pinpointed the McCarter house’s location and worked with geographic information system specialist Chris Gist of the University of Virginia’s Scholars Lab to determine whether, in fact, it was possible for a person standing at the site of the house on the Boston Street to see the top of Proctor’s Ledge, given the rising topography of the northeastern slope of the hill. Gist produced a view-shed analysis, which determined that the top of Proctor’s Ledge was clearly visible from the Boston Street house, as well as from neighboring homes. However, the traditional site on the top of Gallows Hill was not visible from the houses.”
Sidney Perley’s research indicates that similar evidence from another eyewitness, a nurse who was attending John Symonds’ mother as she gave birth to him in 1692, also confirmed Proctor’s Ledge as the site.
According to a letter written by Dr. Holoyoke after the death of John Symonds in 1791, which was later published in Upham’s book, the nurse who was assisting John Symonds’ mother at his birth later told John that she could see the accused hanging at the execution site from the window of the Symonds house that day:
“In the last month, there died a man in this town by the name of John Symonds, aged a hundred years lacking about six months, having been born in the famous ’92. He has told me that his nurse had often told him, that while she was attending his mother at the time she lay in with him, she saw, from the chamber windows, those unhappy people hanging on Gallows’ Hill, who were executed for witches by the delusion of the times” (Upham 377).
Perley identified the location of the house where Symonds was born, on North Street, and found that Gallows Hill is not visible from North Street because it is blocked by Ledge Hill yet Proctor’s Ledge was visible.
Sidney Perley’s map of Salem and Proctor’s Ledge circa 1921
Although Upham also discussed Symonds story in his book, Salem Witchcraft, he assumed the house Symonds was born in was the same one he died in 100 years later and, because Gallows Hill is visible from that house, he used that as the sole piece of evidence to incorrectly identify Gallows Hill as the execution site.
Perley also interviewed Salem residents who knew the descendants of the accused and claimed the descendants told them the accused were executed on Proctor’s Ledge.
One such resident Perley interviewed was a man named Edward F. Southwick who lived with the great-great-granddaughter of John Proctor, Mrs. Nichols, as a boy and claimed that Nichols told him the accused witches were executed near the rocky crevice at Proctor’s Ledge:
“When a boy, Edward F. Southwick lived with David Nichols at this place, from 1847 to 1852, Mrs. Nichols was a Proctor, and a granddaughter of Thorndike Proctor, who was grandson of John Proctor, who was executed for witchcraft. Mr. Southwick stated to the writer and others that both Mr. and Mrs. Nichols told him that the witches were executed near the crevice. Mr. Southwick also said that an old man, who lived with Mr. Nichols, and who was named Thorndike Proctor and was a relative of Mrs. Nichols, used to take walks with him, and he also told Mr. Southwick that the witches were hung near the crevice.” (Perley pp. 15-16).
Perley also discussed an old family story from the Buffum family that states that after the executions on August 19, 1692, Joshua Buffum could see, from his house on Boston Street, George Burrough’s exposed hand and foot sticking out of the rocky crevice, so he later went over that night to cover them so they were no longer visible.
According to Perley, Gallows Hill is not visible from the site of Buffum’s house on Boston Street but the rocky crevice at Proctor’s Ledge is:
“The distance from the house of Joshua Buffum to the top of the hill [Gallows Hill] would make it improbable that a slightly exposed hand or foot could be seen. In an air line the distance is about one hundred and twenty rods, which is considerably more than a third of a mile. Not only was the distance great, but the growth of the trees, which must have existed to a greater or lesser extent in the common lands, would necessarily have precluded such a view. From the house of Joshua Buffum to the crevice, in an air line, the distance is only about fifty-three rods, and the view unimpeded, as one had to look down the hill and over the marsh and river only.” (Perley pp. 14-15).
Other evidence includes the fact that when Perley first discovered Proctor’s Ledge in 1921, he asked the owner at the time, Solomon Stevens, if locust trees had ever grown on the hill, like John Adams had described in 1766. The Stevens family confirmed that there had been locust trees but they had been cut down years before:
“Through the infirmities and weakness of years, he [Solomon Stevens] was unable to talk intelligently, but his son and daughter said that there had been two large trees standing there, until about 1860, when the son felled them, and dug out the stumps, as the trees were in their garden. He pointed out the place where each had stood, – on the near side of the fence running along the brow of the ridge or hill at the left of the picture, – one where a little dot appears, and the other in the shrubbery about thirty or forty feet to the left of the first, at the very edge of the picture. The last-named tree (the one farthest to the left) stood in a crevice between the ledges..The writer has found neither evidence nor tradition that locust trees ever grew upon the top of Gallows hill nor that a crevice ever existed there where the bodies of Burroughs, Willard and Carrier could have been partially buried” (Perley 13).
Another piece of evidence to support Proctor’s Ledge as the execution site is the fact that the some primary sources, such as Robert Calef’s book More Wonders of the Invisible World, state that the prisoners were carried to the execution site in a cart, yet Gallows Hill is much too steep for a cart to climb while Proctor’s Ledge is not.
Site of The Locust Trees and Crevice, illustration published by Sidney Perley, circa 1921
Yet another piece of evidence is a local legend that states that after Rebecca Nurse’s execution, her son Benjamin rowed a boat that night from a creek near the Nurse homestead into the North River right up to the base of the hill where the execution took place so he could claim his mother’s body and give her a Christian burial on her property.
There are no waterways, and never have been, leading to Gallows Hill or anywhere near it. Yet, at the time of the trials, the North River used to spill out into a large bay that pooled into Bickford’s pond, which has since been filled in, at the base of Proctor’s Ledge, thus allowing Benjamin Nurse direct access in his boat to the execution site.
In addition, Proctor’s Ledge also has a rocky crevice running along side the ledge and, according to Calef, the bodies of the executed prisoners were temporarily placed in a rocky crevice at the execution site after they were cut down.
Sidney Perley at rocky crevice near Salem Witch Trials execution site
All of the evidence confirms that Proctor’s Ledge is the site of the Salem Witch Trials executions.
List of people of the Salem Witch Trials
Please note that some people who appear on various lists of Colonial American witches, but there is no proof that formal charges were ever filed against them some were involved as afflicted girls, spouses, or even among the leadership, but their names have ended up on some lists as witches others are clearly mistaken versions of the names of persons who were accused and tried as witches and a few can simply not be confirmed in any documented list. These people are noted with explanations in the list below.
peace, commonly supposed to be another name of Jerusalem ( Genesis 14:18 Psalms 76:2 Hebrews 7:1 Hebrews 7:2 ).
These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely. [N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Salem". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .
Hitchcock, Roswell D. "Entry for 'Salem'". "An Interpreting Dictionary of Scripture Proper Names". . New York, N.Y., 1869.
- The place of which Melchizedek was king. ( Genesis 14:18 Hebrews 7:1Hebrews 7:2 ) No satisfactory identification of it is perhaps possible. Two main opinions have been current from the earliest ages of interpretation: (1). That of the Jewish commentators, who affirm that Salem is Jerusalem, on the ground that Jerusalem is so called in ( Psalms 76:2 ) Nearly all Jewish commentators hold this opinion. (2). Jerome, however, states that the Salem of Melchizedek was not Jerusalem, but a town eight Roman miles south of Scythopolis, and gives its then name as Salumias, and identifies it with Salem, where John baptized.
- ( Psalms 76:2 ) it is agreed on all hands that Salem is here employed for Jerusalem.
Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Salem'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.
The name of the city of which Melchizedek was king (Genesis 14:18 Hebrews 7:1,2 compare Psalms 76:2).
1. Identification and Meaning:
To all appearance it lay near "the Vale of Shaveh," described as "the King's Vale." The general opinion among the Jews was that Salem was the same as Jerusalem, as stated by Josephus (Ant., I, x, 2), who adds (VII, iii, 2) that it was known as Solyma (Saluma, variants, according to Whiston, Salem and Hierosolyma) in the time of Abraham. It was also reported that the city and its temple were called Solyma by Homer, and he adds that the name in Hebrew means "security." This identification with Jerusalem was accepted by Onkelos and all the Targums, as well as by the early Christians. The Samaritans have always identified Salem with Salim, East of Nablus, but Jewish and Christian tradition is more likely to be correct, supported, as it is, by Psalms 76:2.
2. Testimony of Tell el-Amarna Tablets:
The testimony of the Tell el-Amarna Letters is apparently negative. Knudtzon's number 287 mentions "the land" and "the lands of Urusalim," twice with the prefix for "city" number 289 likewise has this prefix twice and number 290 refers to "the city" or "a city of the land Urusalim called Bit-Ninip" Tablets (Beth-Anusat (?)). As there is no prefix of any kind before the element salim, it is not probable that this is the name of either a man (the city's founder) or a god (like the Assyrian Sulmanu). The form in Sennacherib's inscriptions (compare Taylor Cylinder, III, 50), Ursalimmu, gives the whole as a single word in the nominative, the double "m" implying that the "i" was long. As the Assyrians pronounced "s" as "sh", it is likely that the Urusalimites did the same, hence, the Hebrew yerushalaim, with "sh".
Great Events from History: The 19th Century
Scope & Coverage
Essays address important social and cultural developments in daily life: major literary movements, significant developments in art and music, trends in immigration, and progressive social legislation. Among the many broad subjects that receive extensive coverage are Europe's changing political divisions and shifting alliances, the struggles to end slavery and extend full citizenship to African Americans in the United States, the steady expansion of democracy in the Western world, the liberation of Latin America from European rule, the exploration of Africa, and the expansion of European imperialism in Africa and Asia.
Particular attention has been given to expanding coverage of Canada, Africa, Latin America, and Asia. While the emphasis of the set is on political and military events that transformed whole nations and continents, the range of subject matter is impressively diverse. Considerable space is given to important events in the arts, sciences, business, and technology.
The century receives worldwide coverage with a priority for meeting the needs of history students at the high school and undergraduate levels. Events covered include the obligatory geopolitics events of the era--from the Tripolitan War through the European revolutions of 1848 to the Boer Wars in South Africa and the Boxer Rebellion in China. Also, however, the essays address key cultural developments: from Beethoven's Eroica symphony to Puccini's opera Tosca, from Romanticism to Naturalism, from the development of working-class libraries to the opening of the Library of Congress. Trends and fashions of daily life are addressed in such essays as "Spread of the Waltz," "Barnum's Circus," and "The Brooks Brothers Introduces Button-Down Shirts." The era of exploration is covered in essays on expeditions to the Pacific Northwest, the Amazon, Australia, and polar regions. The age of Industrial Revolution is addressed in essays on subjects such as McCormick's reaper, the internal combustion engine, gas lighting, the telephone, the light bulb, and transatlantic communications. The boom in science is covered from the level of atomic physics to the discovery of the first asteroid. For the first time, the human mind becomes an object of investigation in itself, as Freud delves into his interpretation of dreams. The emphasis of this collection, therefore, is on those turning points that redirected contemporary affairs and shaped the modern world--not only geopolitically but also in the experience of everyday life from its practical exigencies to its highest achievements.
Organization & Format
The 667 chronologically arranged essays cover the world's most important events and developments from 1801 through 1900 in the century that witnessed the Industrial Revolution, imperialism, colonialism, a realignment of world nations, Romanticism, and the birth of modern physics, astronomy, and other fields.
Each essay lists the event's:
- most precise date of occurrence
- a capsule summary of the event's importance
- the category or categories of the event (from arts to wars)
- the geographical locale (both contemporary and modern place-names)
- a list of Key Figures including name, birth and death years, dates and terms of office, and brief descriptors of their roles
- a chronological Summary of Event
- an assessment of the event's historical Significance
- a fully annotated Further Reading section listing sources for additional study
- and cross-references to other essays of interest.
Every essay has an annotated, up-to-date bibliography. Lavishly illustrated and supplemented with sidebars that quote from key "primary source documents." Arrangement is chronological to facilitate student comparison of and access to simultaneous events across the globe. All essays are cross-referenced both internally to each other and externally to the companion essays in Great Lives from History: The Nineteenth Century (simultaneous publication, 2006).
A section of historical maps appears in the front matter of both volumes, displaying world regions in the nineteenth century to assist in placing the events' locales. Accompanying many of the essays are maps or quotations from primary source documents--as well as approximately 350 illustrations: images of artworks, battles, buildings, people, and other icons of the period.
Because the set is ordered chronologically, a Keyword List of Contents appears in the front matter to both volumes and alphabetically lists all essays, permuted by all keywords in the essay's title, to assist in locating events by name.
Meet up at Plaza at Old Town Hall on Front Street
From there, we go to Charter Street Cemetery (will discuss apparitions seen there)
Hawthorne Statue (will discuss Hawthorne's own ghost experience)
Gardner-Pingree House (will discuss the famous murder and haunting)
John Ward House (will discuss what happened to an employee there)
First Church (will discuss the legend of the Blue Lady)
Witch House (will discuss the experiences of the staff there)
Ropes Mansion & Garden (will discuss the activity in and around the home)
Hamilton Hall (will discuss the experiences of the staff and guides there)
Derby B & B (will discuss what happened to Sarah the servant girl)
Joshua Ward House (will discuss the most creepy haunting of Salem)
Salem II CM-11 - History
2 1/2 Hour Salem History Tour. 11:30AM & 3:00PM
This Salem walking tour is a sampler of Salem history including but not limited to the Salem witch trials.
The tour led by Kenneth is an engaging narrative and chronicle of the history of Salem, its women, men and great events. The tour includes stops in front of the Witch House, Pickering House 1660, the beautiful McIntire District, with its concentration of outstanding historic homes and buildings such as Hamilton Hall, the Burial Point 1637*, the Broad Street Cemetery 1655, The Salem Witch Trials Memorial and more.
*Many of us are eagerly awaiting the reopening of Salem’s oldest colonial graveyard, The Burial Point. When it does reopen to the public I am inclined to give my guests some flexible semi structured time to wander the paths of the restored historic site or to alternatively use the time to ask me questions about individual graves and the historic site.
*Guests should refrain from resting against or sitting on the tombs and stones and should stay on the paths provided. The graveyard contains the gravesites of the ancestors of current Salem families.
The tour gathers 15 minutes prior to departure at The Coven’s Cottage, 190 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts.
Tickets are $40.00 per person. Accompanied children 12 and under are welcome at no charge. Tours are rain or shine. Dress accordingly.
Legends of America
In the meantime, many of the villagers continued to hope to separate their church parish from the Church of Salem and began to search for an ordained minister. In June 1689 the Reverend Samuel Parris came to the village and began his ministerial duties. On November 19, 1689, the Salem Village church charter was finally signed and the Reverend Samuel Parris became Salem Village’s first ordained minister. Salem Village now had a true church. This only intensified the Putnam-Porter conflict.
The differing beliefs of the two factions, along with numerous land feuds continued to divide the village. The division increased on October 16, 1691, when the Porter faction took control of the village committee from the Putnams and their friends. Some of these new selectmen included Daniel Andrew, the son-in-law of John Porter, Sr. Joseph Hutchinson, one of the sawmill operators responsible for flooding the Putnams’ farms Francis Nurse, a village farmer who had been involved in a bitter boundary dispute with Nathaniel Putnam and Joseph Porter, Thomas Porter, Jr’s half-brother. The new committee quickly voted down a tax levy that would have raised revenue to pay the salary of Reverend Parris. This naturally infuriated Thomas Putnam, Jr. and his followers. Embittered, the minister avenged this refusal by proclaiming in his sermons that a conspiracy against the church had been hatched within the village. He even went so far as to assert that the Devil had taken possession of some of the villagers.
In addition to the Porters, Thomas Putman, Jr. also had a lengthy list of other perceived enemies, including the Howe, Towne, Hobbs, and Wildes families of Topsfield, with whom he had engaged in land disputes. Another was John Proctor, who had gained a license for a tavern with the stipulation that he could not sell liquor to locals. This made Proctor’s tavern a rendezvous point for “outsiders.” It was also in competition with his ally, Nathaniel Ingersoll. Other enemies included Daniel Andrews and Philip English who were closely associated with the Porter family.
It was against this background that the witch hysteria began in early 1692.
The first of the “afflicted girls” was none other than the Reverend Samuel Parris’ daughter, Elizabeth Parris, quickly followed by her cousin, Abigail Williams, who also lived in the Parris household. Both began having fits and acting strangely. After several ministers and a doctor looked at the girls, it was decided their afflictions could only be caused by witchcraft. Before long, other young members of the community also began to have fits including Thomas Putman’s daughter Ann Putnam, Jr. his niece, Mary Walcott, and a servant girl who lived in the Putnam household named Mercy Lewis. Since the sufferers of witchcraft were believed to be the victims of a crime, the community set out to find the perpetrators. On February 29, 1692, under intense adult questioning, Elizabeth Parris and Abigail Williams named Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne, and Tituba as their tormentors. These five “afflicted girls” would become the most fervent of the accusers. Furthermore, the majority of those who were accused were enemies of the Putnams.
By the end of May 1692, more than 150 “witches” had been jailed and by September, 19 people had refused to confess and were hanged, and another had been pressed to death for refusing to make a plea. By October 1692 however, cooler heads began to prevail and the court disallowed “spectral evidence.” The affair wouldn’t end until May 1693, when all of the accused were finally released from jail.
Putnam Family Members Involved in the Salem Witchcraft Hysteria:
Ann Putnam, Jr. (1679-1716) – Twelve-year-old Ann Putnam, Jr. played a crucial role in the witchcraft trials of 1692 as one of the first three “afflicted” children. Born on October 18, 1679, in Salem Village, Massachusetts, she was the eldest child of Thomas Putnam, Jr. and Ann Carr Putman. She was friends Elizabeth Parris and Abigail Williams and in March 1692, she too proclaimed to be afflicted. Her mother, Ann Carr Putman, a fearful woman who was still mourning the death of an infant daughter, also would later claim that she had been attacked by witches. See article HERE.
Ann Carr Putnam, Sr. (1661-1699) – The wife of Thomas Putnam, Jr and the mother of Ann Putnam, Jr., Ann, Sr. would also be involved in the witch trial hysteria, allegedly having fits of her own and making accusations against suspected “witches.” She was born on June 15, 1661, to George and Elizabeth Oliver Carr in Salisbury, Massachusetts. She would later move to Salem Village with her sister, Mary Carr Bailey. She married Thomas Putnam, Jr. on November 25, 1678, and the couple would eventually have 12 children. Described as a fearful woman with a highly sensitive temperament, she was seeming the opposite of her decisive and obstinate husband. Her mental health declined after her sister, Mary’s three children died in quick succession, followed shortly by Mary herself in 1688.
Also having an effect on her was when her wealthy father, George Carr, who owned ship works and milling businesses in Salisbury, died and she was disinherited. Instead, the estate was given to her brothers. Though she tried to sue for her share of the inheritance, she was unsuccessful. In 1689, she lost an infant daughter further shaking her mental stability. After her daughter, Ann Putnam, Jr. began having fits and accusing people of witchcraft, Ann Carr Putnam soon joined her in both actions and accusations. Shortly afterward, her brother-in-law, Joseph Putnam, specifically told her that if her lies about witchcraft touched anyone in his family, she would pay for it. Joseph would then keep guns loaded and horses saddled throughout the period of the trials to facilitate his family’s escape if any of them were accused. None of them were. However, Ann, Sr. would accuse Martha Corey, Rebecca Towne Nurse, Bridget Playfer Bishop, and John Willard, who would all be executed for witchcraft. She would also testify against Sarah Towne Cloyce, William Hobbs, and Elizabeth Walker Cary. Her husband, Thomas Putnam, Jr. died on May 24, 1699, in Salem Village. Just two weeks later, on June 8th, Ann also passed away. Their daughter, Ann Putnam, Jr., was left to bring up their younger children.
Edward Putnam (1654-1747) – A third-generation member of Salem Village, Edward Putnam was born to Thomas Putnam and Ann Holyoke on July 4, 1654, in Salem Village, Massachusetts. He grew up to marry Mary Hale on June 14, 1681, and the couple would have ten children. Edward had a farm in what is now Middleton, Massachusetts. On December 3, 1690, he became the second deacon for the Salem Village church. During the Salem Witch Trials, Edward, along with other members of his family brought charges and testified against many innocent people. He often participated in examinations of both the accused and the “afflicted” in order to determine whether or not they were truthful in their declarations. If he was convinced, he would then follow through with complaints and testimony. Of complaints filed, his name would be on those of Martha Corey, Sarah, and Dorcas Good, Mary Ireson, Rebecca Nurse, Sarah Warren Prince Osborne. He would also testify against the Reverend George Burroughs, Mary Eastey, Elizabeth Bassett Proctor, John Willard, and Sarah Smith Buckley. Years later, Edward would become the historian and genealogist of the family, writing an account in 1733. He died on March 10, 1747, in Salem Village and was buried at the Burying Point Cemetery in Salem, Massachusetts.
Hannah Cutler Putnam (1655-after 1722) The wife of John Putnam, the son of Nathaniel Putnam, Hannah was born to Samuel and Elizabeth Cutler on December 6, 1655, in Salem Village, Massachusetts. She grew up to marry John Putnam on December 2, 1678, and the couple would have 15 children. During the trial of Rebecca Nurse, Mary Easty, and Sarah Cloyce, she and her husband would give a deposition blaming the death of their eight-week-old child, who appeared to be having fits, on witchcraft. Hannah’s husband would die in 1722 while she was still living. It is unknown when Hannah died.